Good to Great...Dakota Ridge XCTF


Good to Great...Dakota Ridge XCTF 2017-2018

Good is the enemy of great
And that is one of the key reasons why we have so little that becomes great.
We don't have great schools, principally because we have good schools. We don't have great government, principally because we have good government. Few people attain great lives, in large part because it is just so easy to settle for a good life. The vast majority become quite good-and that is their problem.  
------Jim Collins (Good to Great 2001)




 In Cross Country...We are a good program...and recently we have settled for being just that. 

For Track and Field, we are not a good program yet (mediocre) and we are still searching for an identity. 

As the 2016 school year ended we met as a school athletic program for our annual Athletic Legacy awards night. Every year we rightly honor the fantastic efforts of our schools student-athletes and coaches who had success throughout the school year. 

I sat for most of the night lost in thought. 

I felt the pain and frustration of being humbled by a Track and Field season that exposed my flaws and left me searching my soul for ways to improve. We had some good things happen during the year for sure and there is a significant sense of pride in that. As always, we did have some great individual stories come to fruition. (I wrote extensively on the season in a previous blog post).  However, as a program we are still searching for something more than 5th on the girl’s side, 8th (Last) on the boy’s side in League. 3 Student-Athletes at State meet. Overall as a program, I feel we are camped out on the outskirts of Mediocristan and it is my fault we are there and no one else’s.

I reflected on our 2016 Cross Country season…. We are good, and in some sense… really good. We have principally been so good that top 10 team finishes in the State Cross Country meet register as same old same old garnering us little if any recognition or respect among our peers. A compliment to the longevity and goodness of the program in some sense. In 2016, we did our same thing. We pulled a girls’ team that frankly was on paper not supposed to make the State Meet, and through some hard work we erased the need for a ton of luck and we earned our spot in the state meet with a tremendous performance when it mattered most at Regionals; a credit to the girl’s indeed. On the boy’s side, we stayed the historical course making the State Cross Country meet for the 15th consecutive year; Finishing 8th, back in the top 10 for the first time since 2012.

I sat among school administration, coaches and hundreds of parents and athletes deeply considering my place in the school and attempted to be honest with myself about my own level of work leading the program. I asked myself what are my most ardent critics saying about me? What is not being said about me that coaches are saying about others who are successful? Am I those things?
  
 Some realistic conclusions about how I have coached the team: I have been an average or good coach at best in Cross Country and for Track and Field I’ve been down right mediocre. I have a very nice base of technical knowledge about our sport, training athletes and the like and I do okay coaching it. I put in a lot of hours and money in my own continued education on many fronts, psychology, physical therapy, athletic training, physiology etc etc all in a holistic approach to continue progress our student athletes.

However, ... I make plenty of mistakes.  I have not delegated well. I have been distracted by a lot in the last few years. I have not communicated well and have been quite disorganized. I have lost my patience with our kids. I have not taken care of myself and I have nearly burned out of coaching.  I have been brutally ineffective at pushing our track and field program forward. I failed to get the most out of super talented kids.  Despite efforts to do so…I have not achieved a high level of respect among my peers. Be it politics, lack of advocacy, or just the straight forward success others are looking for to be accepted. I have not achieved the level of respect a great coach earns among his peers. For that I hold myself responsible.  Principally...The kids and my assistant coaches have made me look better then I feel I have been the last couple years. I am in their debt for them being so good.    

I was recently talking to a parent about our team and program. I was commenting on the initial few weeks of the summer and noting how different everything feels with this incoming freshman class. I said to the parent “ I am finding out already I will need to get my barring’s here and make some adjustments in how I coach them”. The parent said “sounds like they are raising their game, and you are going to have raise yours as well”.

It is the truth. I must get better.

Over the coming few weeks as we move toward our team camp I will share with you all some thoughts about our program. Asking questions along the way.  At our team camp we will engage in a robust discussion related to many of the concepts we are looking to engage with as we move forward as a program.

To close this post, I want to answer the question of what greatness might look like for a Cross Country Track and Field program. Using Jim Collins three tests of greatness as a guide here is some thoughts of what greatness looks like:


Superior Results

Our most important results come from what is happening in the classroom. Exceptional effort in the classroom is essential for a high school athletic team. Secondly, nothing is more superior then winning championships. Greatness is only achieved when championships are won. We can be a highly successful or very good program as we currently are in Cross Country, but until we win a championship we are not great. We can and will have years we are proud of wherein we don't finish as champion. Our 2015 Cross Country season comes to mind where we excelled at the next two guideposts, but did not finish as champions.   


Distinctive Impact

We must have a lasting positive impact on each other and those in our community. We have talked about the concept of “do anything that brings honor to your family and yourself”. We want to create lasting positive memories for each other that leave us feeling like we had an incredible experience being a part of the program. Being involved in school activities that enhance the experience of  being a part of this team is an aspect of this. The high level of success we have seen from student-athletes involved in student government, the play and musical are examples.  

Lasting Endurance

We may not be great every year. We will find the road to greatness may take years and will be paved with setbacks. No matter what the situation we are facing, we must fiercely protect the long-standing tradition of success we have achieved within the program. Hold to good, yes. Preserve the high level of success that was built year after year through mile after mile, throw after throw, rep after rep on the track, in the field and in the weight room. Preserve the high level of academic and social success we have achieved. Do your part to help move the team to greatness be it this year or ten years from now.    


JIM’S TWELVE QUESTIONS DEVELOPED BY JIM COLLINS. RELEASE VERSION 3.00. © 2014
http://www.jimcollins.com/tools/TwelveQuestions.pdf

Coming up: 

Who is on the bus? 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Live a Story...Leave a Legacy: The opening chapters...

Process, Outcomes, State Info, Banquet Info

Track and Field Season Review....